Tuesday, February 9, 2010

So my internet is vaguely working now so i can start my blog for you guys! I'm sorry its taken almost 3 weeks since i've been gone for me to start this :/

I rode the plane in my sweat couture and actually got my sister to pose in a picture with me, doesn't happen often. At customs right after this pic, i actually bumped into another kansai gaidai sei, which i've already friended on facebook prior to even meeting her in real life. The wonders of
fb right ;D

I knew it was a good idea to join the fb group prior to leaving, if not then i would have been uber bored just waiting for boarding time. The flight was sooo long, 14 hours to be exact, but Asiana fed us like 2 meals plus a sandwich break in between. Luckily, from what i've heard from other students on different airlines, i didn't get food poisoning mid flight. Now that would have been torturous.

We got to Seoul around 5am , and go figure nothing is open. We had a 5 hour wait time between flights so a group of us just sat around trying to find internet connection, this is when i checked my email and found out i left A LOT of things at home. They were in my other suitcase which i switched out for a smaller one last second. But i suppose it isn't all bad, my sister is sending me a care package with most of the essentials i can't get here, including my twix. Right before I boarded my connecting flight to Osaka we found this booth that was filled with traditional korean clothes, and of course we had to try them out ;D The whole time we were doing this people were snapping pictures of us hahaha. (from top left: Alice, Sarah, Me, Judy; Bottom left: Sam, Richard)

That first night in Japan i had... instant ramen, go figure right. We weren't allowed to use anything but the fridge, the microwave, and the stove to boil water. I pretty much had cup noodles for dinner the whole week i was here. It was soo bizarre going
to the supermarket the first time because instead of the parking lot being filled with cars, the ones here are filled with bikes. We have to register our bikes if we get one, because cops will literally stop you on the street if they dont see a bike registration sticker on it.
They're insanely strict with their bikes here lols and of course they ride on the opposite side, i almost got run over by a truck because i got confused and went right instead of left ;X And of course i found my Curry udon here ;D so awesome, They have it in the school cafeteria for 350yen, way cheaper than udon west lols and you definitely have to get it negi nashi because who likes to eat scallions anyway right?

Our school campus has this really nice spot, i have no idea what to call it though. An arena? A colosseum?
An Atrium? Well either way its really big and when the weather is nice there are usually break dancers practicing on that wooden platform in the middle. The campus is also REALLY nice. Can't wait till its filled with flowers and the fountain turns on.

The whole first week was spent in orientation meetings and then a kyoto trip. I got THE worst fortune here. It said that if there are people i'm waiting to meet,
I will never meet them. If i'm ill i will be ill for a very long time. If i lose something it will be difficult to find. I will never have children but i'll be successful at work -.-" I really should burn that thing.

This weekend i also went to Kobe and tried Kobe beef. SOOOO expensive, but sooo good!

Time here has been awesome thus far. I promise i'll update more consistently now on. You can send me a message at my keitai (cell phone) email and it'll reach me instantly like a text, wish we had this in the states without requiring a data plan. It's achen@softbank.ne.jp EMAIL ME!

( From Left: Jennifer, Mai, Me, Erika, Aina)

Missing all of you mucho!
-Antonia